Eating...We're All In This Together

Eating better,
  different,
Finding new ways to
fill our bellies,
   nourish our bodies,
fuel our brains, bones, and beings!

A plethora of information
webbed and weaved together,
  wisdom shared
recipes,
ideas,
pictures that spark passion,
inspiration to live, grow, and cultivate,
   a healthier
Me
and
You.

My lunch today.  No, I do not eat like this every day.  I want to.  I'm trying.  I'm learning.  And I'm so glad I have you to help me learn!  

No matter how you say it or think of it, we really are what we eat.  I don't know about you but I find myself always saying "Ah, I need to eat better.  I need some ideas of what to cook.  I really should start cooking like that again."  Somewhere along my many attempts and roads to eating better and changing my bad habits, I've gotten off track again and find myself back to the point of wanting to change things up again and start fueling my body more efficiently.  I don't have the worst diet but I don't have the best diet either.  As with everything else in life, I'm learning. I'm tweeking things here and there and I'm gradually growing into a more healthier me.  I've been so inspired by so many blogs, magazines, documentaries, and friends to live a healthier life.  I've been inspired to eat better, try new exercises, taste new foods that I might never have heard of, and experiment with new ways of training so I can be a better runner.  


This blog has been such a blessing to me in that it has helped me grow through my writing by reflecting, having an outlet to express my feelings, findings, dreams, accomplishments and so much more.  But the biggest blessing has been my readers and the blogs I've found to be a reader of.  I've learned so much and I feel like I can ask questions and instantly have more feedback and wisdom shared than I would have ever imagined....about eating, exercise, motherhood, ideas for this and that. And not to mention, I get some really good laughs from all the good senses of humor out there!  Love that my favorite bloggers don't take themselves or life too seriously.  Huge smiles from you. 


Recently, I had one of blog readers and friends, Leah ask me a question about protein sources other than meat. Since I am definitely not the most knowledgeable about this, I asked my mom and a friend Martha to help me out.  I also know that many of the blogs I read, are great sources of information on this topic.  Since I learn so much from you, I plan on using the rest of this blog to share some of what I've learned, as well as mention some blogs that I find inspiration from.   Here is her question:

" Hoping all the changes my family has taken on with food will continue to not be fought... will eventually start weaning from as much meat as they like.. I do have one question. How do you deal with the soy issues in young children? What protein do you use instead if you are vegetarian or vegan? I know eggs, but those get old fast if that's all your eating for protein... Thanks!"


I (me, runninghood) also asked a question about soy.  Seems like so much controversy these days. As with anything, I'm a big believer in moderation.  We do drink some soy milk in our coffee and we eat tofu pretty regularly.  I do plan on doing more research on this but I think it is a little ridiculous just how much people are freaking out over this.  Every time I tell one of my friends that I drink soy milk she about has is so shocked and can't believe I'm drinking something she thinks is so harmful.  What?  Please share any useful sites or sources that have information on this topic.  Kate, from Run With Kate  Tales of a SoCal Veg Runner mentioned a podcast about soy that I'll get more information about and include in this comments on here.  Many of you also had useful information in your comments about this in my blog Date With Matt Fitzgerald. In the meantime, I will continue to eat small amounts of soy:
*  soy milk in my coffee
*  Tofu once a week


Here is an e-mail from my mom about Leah's question and a bit about the soy issue too.  I really wish she would write a blog...she's got so much knowledge on SO Much.  You are welcome to e-mail her with any questions fitness, health, or nutrition related:  chertheart@aol.com


First of all a word about soy.  We all know it contains plant-based estrogens (phytoestrogens.)  Consumed in small amounts the phytoestrogens have a positive effect.  They are helpful for postmenopausal women, and are protective against breast cancer.  The key is moderation.  As with anything else, humans tend to think that if a little bit is good for us then copious amounts must surely be even better.  As we all know, it doesn't ever work that way.  In Asian countries, where soybeans or tofu has been used for decades with no ill effects, their breast cancer rates and problems with menopause are a lot lower than ours.  Soybeans lower cholesterol, help prevent osteoporosis and can alleviate problems associated with diabetes.  Again, the rule of thumb is moderation.  There is nothing wrong with consuming tofu and other related soy products  a couple times a week or so.

I know a lot of people are concerned about the issue of getting enough protein if they switch to a vegetarian diet.  To make a complete protein you can combine beans with brown rice, corn, nuts, seeds, wheat.  You can also combine brown rice with beans, nuts, seeds and wheat.  You can eat nut butters on your bread, add nuts and seeds to salads and veggie casseroles.  You don't even need to worry about combining as long as you eat a variety of what I just mentioned every couple of days.  Your body knows what to do, and will use what you've eaten to make a complete protein when it needs it.  I think we make it far more difficult as it really needs to be.:)


My friend Martha is another great resource.  Please check out her new blog:  On Going Vegan...But Not Just Vegan  Here is what Martha wrote to Leah:  

@ Leah: RE Protein. There is a protein shake, Designer Whey, which is a milk product. http://www.designerwhey.com/
Amanda already mentioned tofu, which is of course a soy product if you are concerned about soy. Beware, especially with children, of anything that's sugared up, like most yogurts, when you are looking for alternatives for protein. There are an amazing number of types of beans with zillions of possibilities there, as well as whole grains. And do remember, there is protein in practically EVERYTHING you eat! Broccoli is GREAT! Anything dark green is GREAT! All of us who are vegan are confident that we get all the protein we need. Email me if you have more questions. I'm happy to reply. marthaeo@gmail.com

@Leah: Try this recipe. Your family will love it!
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/mini-crustless-tofu-quiches.html
Martha


Some protein and non-protein foods I purchased today on my trip to New Seasons:
*  Flax seeds 
* Almonds
* Avocado
* Blueberries
* Basamati Rice
* Tomatoes
* Tangerines
* Bananas
* Sunflower Seeds
* Eggs
* Red Bell Pepper (A STAPLE for us!)
* Cucumber

Dinner tonight:
*  Salmon with Basamati Rice
*  Spinach with veggies of all kinds of colors


Here are some of the many blogs that I have found to be good sources for food and health related inspiration:  
On Going Vegan...But Not Just Vegan (new blog...please go check her out, follower her and support her as she starts this blog about something she is so very passionate about)
SuperFoodsMama
Hungry Runner Girl (she's super fun about most things but has some yummy food pictures  that make me just want to eat, have fun with food and be fit!)  
Thorns Have Roses
Muncher Cruncher
Great Blog Food, Made BETTER

 As always feel free to answer one or none of these questions but I'd love to hear from you!

1.  Since I want this blog to be about sharing information and learning more from each other, growing together, and finding inspiration and encouragement, please share a blog that you find helpful or full of knowledge about healthy eating and living.  


2.  Please share a vegetarian or vegan dinner recipe with me that is easy and kid friendly!


3.  What are your favorite sources of protein?


Thank you for helping me learn, live healthier, and be a better ME!  
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment