A Question For My Blog Readers...Please Help

Okay, I'm super eager to run a marathon again.  I am about to push the button and register officially for the Newport Marathon here on the coast in Oregon.  I am thinking 1 marathon a year is good for me right now in my life since it takes a ton of time and really, I don't want to give that much time to training all year...especially with 3 kids ages five and under.  But running another marathon feels right to me...a comeback...redemption after my injury that kept me from running the Portland Marathon.  I know that I could wait and do the Portland Marathon in October but I'm thinking 1.  I don't want to wait that long. 2.  I want a big race to train for now and 3.  Part of me wants to just train for something new this summer like a tri.  


Soooooo, getting to my question... The Newport Marathon is a super fast course.  Something about this bothers me.  I don't know what it is that really bothers me.  I know it is still 26.2 but maybe it is because I don't want the fact that it is a fast course to make my race time seem easier or hold less weight than what it would be if it was a more challenging course.  It could also have something to do with the following comments from friends about this race:


Friend 1:  "Oh, The Newport Marathon is so easy!  Anyone could run that marathon!"
or
Friend 2:  "I love the hardcore marathons:) 26.2 is impressive regardless of the course, but there is something about a flat to slightly downhill course that seems like cheating. "  (she later apologized for how it sounded and she is sweeter than anyone so I didn't think she was trying to be offensive)




So, if I do run the Newport Marathon and get a really awesome time and qualify for Boston again or run much faster, does it seem like less of an accomplishment because the course is easier than some? (I know, really I shouldn't care but I do).


Hoping to hear from a few of you late nighters tonight before I purchase my race.  I might also wait until the morning!  This is a big commitment.  I want to make sure I'm happy with my decision. 


Thanks for your advice and feedback, 


Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment