Fleeting Moments; Magical Memories

Just returned from a peaceful night run.  The air was cool, the moon bright, and the rain tucked away somewhere else for a change.  I could see my breath in the light from my head lamp. With each exhale, I felt myself settle into my rythym just a bit more and I couldn't help but smile! Tonight is one of those nights that I feel completely satisfied and joyful.  Today was wonderful.  A day that will go down in the memory books.  All three of my kids went to bed feeling happy, loved, safe and floating on the magic of childhood. 

If you don't count the fact that my 20 month old decided to rip this rather reasonably large chunk of hair from my now four year old's head when she took his turn on the slide at preschool....

...or the fact that he nearly pulled my mother-in-law's fancy tea pot and cups off the table with the table cloth while I was decorating for my daughter's party...


...today was a darn near perfect day!  A day that makes you feel happy to be a mother and have a part in creating a magical childhood for your children. 

A day that you get to see this kind of joy on your child's face as she celebrates her life...


 ....and seeing the look on her face that tells you that she is bursting at the seams with excitement...


A day where doing a fairy dance for a room full of adults and 12 kids ages 1-6 means that the jewel fairy will come and sprinkle jewels under our Japanese Maple and allow 10 girls to gather magical memories and a purse full of jewels to wish upon tonight. 



A day where seeing girls try to act like ladies makes for a priceless memory and even burps and smiling with food in your mouth makes for a great picture.



 A day where
all
the pieces
come together
to
make a perfect day!

Kitchen is done, cake covered, last minute plans and invitatons made, and history written.




Life IS GOOD! 

Tomorrow is another busy day.  Going out for my husband's birthday with friends to see Roller Derby.  Apparently we are in a for a good show....tough looking ladies on roller skates trying to knock each other out of the way.  Good times! 

On the running front... tomorrow's workout calls for:
Tempo Run
2 mile warm up
4-5 miles at 6:50/7 pace
1.5 mile cool down

I'll be flying around trying to get home, showered and ready to go again.  Good thing I have a good sitter!  She's amazing!  And she's leaving me to go to college next year.  Boo.


What is one of your favorite childhood memories?  A birthday party?  A magical moment?  Seeing a relative? 
I grew up in a family where we didn't celebrate birthdays or ANY holidays due to our religion (that we are no longer a part of since I was 12).  My mom still found ways to make me feel special and create memories though.  I remember one day in music class when I was in third grade, my mom walked in and asked to take me out to the hall for a moment.  I thought that maybe something bad had happened.  When I got out in the hall, my mom said "I just wanted to tell you that I love you...that's all".  And she gave me a necklace that had pink beads with plastic and colorful fruit on it.  I felt so LOVED and special.  I still have that necklace on my bathroom counter and it is one of my greatest treasures.  I used to take it to show my students at school during a certain writer's workshop exercise.  I don't think I'll ever be ready to part with that necklace.  Not until I'm ready to leave this world.  I'll post a picture of it sometime.  :) 

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment