Lofty Goals Grounded

I've never run over 60 miles a week.  In fact, I thrive on 40 to 55 miles a week.  As some of you know, I had a really hard week planned for running this week.  If I played my cards right and followed Matt Fitzgerald's third level plan for the Brain Training Plan for the week then I was on track for 70 miles this week.  My all-time high.  And then I planned to return to lower miles next week before my tune-up half marathon that I am training through.  


So, how would I take this big step in miles this week?  On a week that is especially stressful as it is.  Birthday parties, planning for a Writing Festival I'm presenting at, hosting dinners at my house, etc.  Oh, and being a mother to three kids 6 and under.  That's enough right there.  And thanks to those of you that brought this to my attention in my last post.  


I'm tired.  Really tired.  My body hurts.  Not sure why.  And I came home from my recovery run yesterday (cut to 4 miles) with light pain in my heel and foot and a lump the size of a small small bouncy ball in the back of my heel (bottom of ankle where the two meet).  Not sure what this is from but I have learned something over the last six months of reading running blogs.  The most important things I've learned:

  • Listen to your body
  • It is OKAY to take a day off
  • Taking multiple days off (even key workouts God forbid!) at the first signs of injury is the Smartest thing you can possibly do.  Even when it means not being able to meet your lofty goals to be superwoman!  
  • A day or two off isn't going to hurt me!  It will help me.
  • Taking a day or two off now will help me later.  
  • Trying to run through this pain while still running around with my head cut off trying to throw my daughter's birthday party, entertain guests, plan for upcoming events, and gearing up for a 22 miler on Sunday (which may or may not happen) is NOT Wise.  
  • Think lots of positive thoughts, love myself and others, and don't be a bitch fest.  
So, here's where I am at now.  I'm giving myself the day off.  No 12 mile run with 6 to 8 of them being Tempo at 7 min pace (or a bit under).  Nope.  I'm going to do a whole lot of nothing until this body of mine feels a bit better and my heel bump goes away.  LOVE LOVE LOVE and Peaceful thoughts for this girl.  I'm going to start with:
  • a gratitude list in my journal
  • turn on my favorite tunes...maybe some Nora Jones or Jack Johnson
  • Have another cup of coffee
  • Watch my kids do gymnastics.  Really watch without doing other things besides chasing after my almost 2 year old.  
  • Be fully present in my daughter's party today and make it all about her.
  • Have a quiet mind, gentle spirit, positive outlook and loving attitude (ha ha, this is funny just writing about it because I'm going to have to dig darn deep here!)  
  • Do the heel bump dance to make it go away. 
  • Maybe sit down on the couch at quiet time today and actually zone out to some fluff for once.  Practicing the art of RELAXATION is challenging for this HYPER girl who puts way too much pressure on herself.  I might even buy myself a gossip magazine like People or US weekly to really let my mind go.  I have not read one of those since my last beach trip....which was when??
Happy Friday!  
Amanda


p.s. Already convincing myself that I feel better enough to at least attempt some light miles. :)  We shall see.  Be smart Amanda.  Be smart.  be smart...see, if I just keep saying this again and again maybe it will sink in.  


No comments:

Post a Comment