Naked Running

When I first began my blog in October, I didn't have a Garmin, a foam roller, fancy running gear, and I certainly had never heard the term Running Naked used by some in the running community to mean running without a watch, Garmin or other devices that keep pace and time.  When I first saw the term "Running Naked" written, I slowed down from my usual blog reading pace and  read and reread just to clarify what I was reading.  Tonight, I tried my first somewhat "Naked Running" experience since getting my Garmin 205 for Christmas.  I had my Timex Ironman watch that used to be all I needed for my many years of running.  But after having my Garmin for so many of my speed workouts and long runs, I felt like I really was "Running Naked".  


For those of you that don't know about my Garmin Grief and the horrible and awful suffering it went through in its last hours, you can read my last blog post.  I'm still pretty emotional about the entire thing.  Grief is a funny thing. But I'm hoping to win a new one from Jen @ Why I Run. Probably not now that I'm linking her since this greatly decreases my chances since you all will go enter, right.  Jen's awesome so she's worth the visit alone, but if you enter the giveaway and already have a Garm, you could always just tell her that I should win. Yes?  Please.  Come on, you can earn huge Runninghood points if you tell her that your drawing should go to me.  Here is a final picture before sweet Garm died:






Today's workout wasn't happening half-Naked:
1 mile WU (easy without a Garmin)
1 x 2k @ HM pace
2 min active recovery
1 x 1 mile @ 10k pace
2 min recovery
1 x 1k @ 5k pace
2 min rec. 
1 x 800 @ 3k pace
1 mile cool down


Long story turned to bullets:
*  jogged to HS track--Track Meet.  Crap!  
*  Jogged to use Elementary School Track 
*  Kid's Baseball Game, mom's and siblings all over in lawn chairs, flying balls, etc. 
* Tried it anyway.  
*  Looked like an Ass!  Coach yelling at kids "Don't pay attention to the Runner!!  Look at the ball!!"  must have been my bright shirt and hat.  or that I was the mom sprinting around the track and looking like a...well...an Ass!  I tried explaining in passing that the HS track was being used and my Garmin just broke but that just made me look more like an Ass!  
* I was just a girl wanting to get her run on!  But I could see that crashing an elementary school baseball game wasn't going to work.  It was embarrassing.  
* Rushed home, jumped in car, drove to gym, and got the the Treadmill that I've come to despise.  So much harder for me than running outside (mentally and physically).  I used to think differently.  
* Got it done!


Thank YOU SO MUCH for the Garmin advice and warm condolences in response to my grief.  I felt so loved.  Ha!  No, really, your advice and feedback was helpful.  I just purchased the Garmin 405 tonight.  My husband and I will share it.  Hopefully we will both have one by the end of the year if he ends up taking his training as seriously as I think he might.  He's hooked after that half marathon.  Go honey go!  But don't steal my Garmin yo! (Of course if I win Jen's giveaway, I can return the 405 and save some money!)


After my workout, I made sure to come home and drink a recovery protein drink. 


I included: 
*  Hammer Recoverite (Glutamine Fortified Recovery Drink)
*  Whey protein powder
*  plain yogurt
*  Udo's Oil
*  Banana
*  a little bit of frozen berries
*  Handful of spinach
*  Kale
*  Apple Juice


1.  I am so excited for all of the people I know running Boston.  I plan on doing a proper shout out/Good Luck Blog for them and a Boston tribute tomorrow but it is coming quick so I'm sure some of them are already on their way!  Who do you know running Boston? Will you be tracking them?  I wish I was going to be there again!  Next year hopefully! 


2.  I'm loving all the extra attention in the recent posts from Patrick at The Road [A Multi-Sport Blog].  Who cares that it is all part of his ass kissin' contest.  It's still fun.  


Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment