Runninghood Meets Cyclinghood, New Inspiration and Advice Please!

Today was my first ever official cycling experience and I'm happy to say that I LOVED it!  


In 2004 I thought that I might want to buy a bike so that I could try my first triathlon.  It looked kind of like this:
Trek 1200
My intentions were good.  However, I ended up using this bike for mostly commuting to work when we lived downtown.  I'd ride my bike through the city, to the train, to the suburbs where I was teaching and through the neighborhoods.  Then we eventually moved to the burbs, I got pregnant and Miss Trek got stuck in the garage with no lovin'. 


Until now!  I figure that since I'm signing up for this all women's sprint triathlon in July and maybe an Olympic distance sometime in the fall then I should probably get familiar with my bike and figure out what this cycling thing is all about! 


My friend Liz took me out to a trail nearby and she was kind enough to take it easy on me for my first time.  We ended up doing 20.5 miles but I was happy to be finished and feel like I could do another 20!  This made me think that I just might really LOVE this whole cycling world!  I'm so excited to ride with some groups, go out with my friend Liz again, and LEARN and challenge myself in a new sport!  


Oh, and these Pearl Izumi Women's Sugar Shorts helped too....they were like riding on clouds and my crotch didn't fall asleep for a second!  













Now for some questions for you! I'd love any advice you can give!  


1.My husband just got some of these trendy Vibram Five Fingers as you can see in the picture above.  He is training for some 5ks this summer but wants to work his way into a more minimalist shoe. Do you have any tips or advice for how he can start working his way into these Vibrams gradually?  Would love any wisdom you have!


2.My friend just found out she is pregnant.  She had a doctor tell her that cycling might not be a good idea for her.  She's been active with spin, swimming, weights, etc. so I would think that continuing to ride her bike wouldn't be a problem.  What do you think? Any advice here?  I know that with running, I'd say just to keep doing what she is used to doing but is riding a bike different??


3.  Thank you so much for your advice on triathlons, places to ride my bike, music lists, etc!  I'll be putting some new tunes on my new iPod shuffle hopefully this week and I plan to use it for my next race.  You guys ROCK!  Seriously awesome and I hope to get back to you sometime soon!


Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment