It's GO Time!

Yep, that's right!  It's time to start training for something again!  I'm healed and feeling stronger than ever.  Funny to say but I'm kind of thankful for my hamstring injury...it has definitely made me more determined to push myself to new limits!  


Wow, thank you so much to all of you for your advice, feedback, encouragement and wise words on my last post.  I had no idea that I would get such a great response.  I loved everything you had to say regarding fast marathon courses.  You're right, a marathon is a marathon....26.2 is 26.2 and to get a PR on a fast course doesn't take away from anything!  


I'm officially registered for the Newport Marathon on June 4, 2011!  It feels good to have something nailed down and have a goal to focus on.  


I've chosen a program to put my faith in and see where we go together.  I've heard good things and I'm  just going to trust.  



The Brain Training Marathon Training is 24 weeks. Tomorrow will be starting week 4 for me since I started a little late.  The training is broken up into 4 phases:  Base, Build 1, Build 2, and Peak.  During this time, it includes tune-up races at the end of week 12, 16, and 20.  I have never done a program like this with tune-up races so I'm just going to trust the process.  I'm actually kind of excited to have some little races in between.  I think in the past, I wouldn't have liked this idea.  

Here are some other races I've worked into the 24 week plan to serve as tune-up races:

Week 12:  Still looking for a 5k but thinking of the Shamrock run on March 13th (this would be week 13 but close enough)
Week 16:  Registered to run the Vernonia Half Marathon on April 10th with my husband.  This was supposed to be a 10k but I think that if I remember to not race too hard then I should be fine. 
Week 20:  Registered to run the Hippie Chick Half Marathon on May 8th.  This will be a scheduled tune-up race
Week 24:  June 4th.  Race Day Yay!


My hubby was sweet enough to get me a wall calendar to write my plan down.  I will also be planning his training plan too.  Since he will be running the Vernonia Half Marathon with me, I'm not so sure how fast and prepared I want him to be...especially if it is only supposed to be a 10k tune-up race for me.  I might have to let him beat me.  No, really, he is faster than me.  

Today was an 8 miler at base pace.  The book shows me how to figure out my base pace according to where I'm at right now and according to my race goal. Having a Garmin works wonderful for staying on track with this!

Here is where I figured out my Target Pace Level for my starting point.  I am supposed to move down about 4-6 numbers by the end of the 24 weeks and as I improve.



This chart also helps for when I need to know my pace for speed workouts like 1 min farlek intervals.  I would want to be running these at my 1 mile pace according to my TPL which would be around a 6-6:15 mile pace at the start of this program.  When I did it the other day, my fartleks were right at 6 min pace and a little under.  

And here is about what each week looks like.  Each week includes work on stride/form, resistance and strength work, speed, intensive endurance and extensive endurance.




Feels great to be back to training for something!  

1.  What events are you training for in 2011?  

2.  If you are not a runner or triathlete reader, what is something big you are working towards in 2011?  

3.  Question for you running friends about the New York Marathon...I know it is a lottery but I also know you can qualify.  Are there only specific races you can qualify at or are most certified courses NY qualifiers?  How does this work?  If you race the qualifying time for NY are you guaranteed to be able to get in if you register in time?  




Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment