Obsessed or Dedicated?

I'm going to start with a quote that I just read on a new blog friend's blog header because it really resonated with me and made me feel a bit less obsessive and more hardcore and dedicated!  HA, anything to make us feel better about our obsessive, er, I mean, dedicated behavior.  That's why they say that birds of a feather flock together...or something along those lines.  But really, get to the point lady.....here's her quote:


"Obsessed is how the unmotivated describe the dedicated."

Thanks Claire from Take*Two for this quote.  And good luck with your barefoot running conditioning.  Talk about dedicated.  

What about you?  Have you ever been called "obsessed"?  Especially about running?  I mentioned the other day that I can be a bit obsessive about things once I decide to really start something.....like blogging, racing, having kids, first time teaching, writing  good research paper, etc. One of you wonderful "followers" of mine made me feel better by mentioning that anything worth doing is worth giving your all!  Nothing wrong with giving 110% right?  This has got to annoy people that are unmotivated in life.  Just one more reason to talk about these obsessions in the blog world with other obsessed/dedicated strangers and leave facebook for more lighthearted matters like your kids wiping snot on the walls or taking stuffing out of the couch to make crafts.  


Couch Stuffing
This brings me to the couch stuffing.  Yesterday the girls and I were making stuffed strawberry shortcake paper Christmas ornaments.  The instructions asked for cotton balls to use for stuffing.  I was going to use toilet paper.  My 5 year old brought me a handful of real pillow stuffing.  What?!  Apparently she just unzipped the couch cushions, took a chunk out and zipped it back up.  This is what my husband did with them the other day when helping them sew little pillows the other day.  No wonder my couch is looking pretty pathetic these days.  Maybe I'll get a new couch out of the deal.

Hot Toys This Christmas

The only thing my 3 year old asked for for Christmas (really asked for) was the Rapunzel Hair Braider Doll.  I had no idea what a hot item this was this year so I just waited until last night, thinking that I would just be able to walk into Target and get it.  Nope.  Sold out at Toys r' Us and all the Targets in the general area except one store clear on the other side of town.  I came home from shopping wanting nothing more than to sit down and zone out but I waited until the kids were sleeping and then tracked this toy down!  Who knew that shopping at Target at 10 p.m could be SO. DANG. PEACEFUL?!!!  I mean, I might have discovered a new stress reliever here.  Just walking through the aisles without kids was amazing.  I had a really stupid smile on my face and couldn't help making a few fb status updates about how joyful it was.  Oh, I also started some conversations with random people in the toy aisles.  I just had to talk to someone about how whorish Barbie was dressed, especially in the Barbie as a School Teacher set.  REALLY?!!  Come on Barbie....no teacher that I know dresses in that kind of spaghetti strap dress with their boobs hanging out the side. They would be FIRED!  And if you bent over to help a student in that thing?!  Good grief.  PUKE.  And the purple lipstick and grey eye shadow?!  We are talking school teacher here Barbie Makers!!  Not after-hours adult party.  It made for some good conversation in the toy aisle. I did get a few Barbie Dolls though.  I used to love playing with my Barbie.   How do you feel about Barbie Dolls?  Any opinions?


Adding to the blog after the fact: Oh, and my fb status today was about this topic and my teacher friend sent me this picture and link to the teacher barbie in 1965:  Much better.  Or even this other modern teacher.  Nice.  Funny that I can't find an image online of the one that I'm talking about.  Oh well, it will make for a good teachable moment with my daughter.  
Barbie Student Teacher 1965 Doll

Okay, can't find the picture of the one I'm talking about but this one will do for now.  Close enough:


Running
Wasn't much of Running happening yesterday.  My husband is off today so hoping for some kind of mid to longer run with no jogger stroller!  Yesterday I attempted a run with my single jogger and my 3 and 5 year old on bikes.  We went to the elementary school track behind our house.  My vision was that they would peacefully ride around the track while I ran.  HA!  The entire time all I could hear was their cat-like screams at each other.  The 5 year old was going too fast and the 3 year old couldn't handle being shown up and left alone for a few pedals.  Good Grief!  I think the neighbors around the track might have called the authorities to come check things out.  We ended with some monkey bars, slides, swings and some Plyometric-like jumps. My 18 month old got a great kick out this and just laughed and laughed at seeing his mommy look like a frog. 




Hope you are all enjoying your week!  


1. Do you or others ever call you Obsessed about something?  


2. How do you feel about Barbie?  Do you think she should be dressed more modestly or do you think that is what makes Barbie Barbie (that she is dressed like a Ho  , sexy little thing)?


3. Anyone do Plyometrics?  
In college we used to do a Plyometric drill workout occasionally.  During indoor track season mostly.  We would also begin each workout with some great drills on the wall that got our muscles ready to work!  


Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment