The Shelf Life Of Your PR In Running



I went to my chiropractor's office today for a sports massage and Graston Technique torture.  While I was waiting, I perused their copy of Runner's World as I love to do (especially since my subscription ran out).  I read a section about runners' etiquette for sharing your PRs with other runners and I'm not quite sure if I agree or not.  It was stated something to the likes of :  A PR has a shelf life of two years and after that it is still a PR but you basically need to add a disclaimer as to when you set that PR.  I guess I would agree more than disagree.  This explains my sudden urge to take my PRs down on the side of my blog or at least put the date that I ran them. Before I went to the chiropractor's office, I had someone comment on my blog about my 5:25 mile time.  I have not had a chance to respond to them but my instant reaction was really one of embarrassment because  there is no way I can run a 5:25 mile these days.  After this injury, I would be lucky to run a sub 7 right now.  That time was ran in college almost 10 years ago!  So, I do think I should probably delete it or include the date that I ran it.  Same with my 800 meter time.  I don't even know why I included those anyway. What do you think?  Do you agree that it is an unspoken runner's rule that if you share your PR and it is older than 2 years, you should have to explain when your PR was set?  Is this really that big of a deal?  I mean who really cares anyway?  Definitely something that got me thinking.

Before the chiropractor, I hit the gym.  I took Miss Zippy's advice and didn't do my planned 800's.  Instead I spent some time on the stair climber and then ran a few sub 8 min miles on the treadmill.  I forgot what a good workout the stair master was!  It really gets me sweating and I always feel like I got a decent workout if I do the right workout on it.  The stair climber was my favorite thing to do in lieu of running when I was nursing my babies!   You can also read while working out!

My reading material for today.  Don't want my professional teacher brain to go to mush! Gotta keep up with the current research and latest trends in the literacy world!


Just in case books.  The top one is my book club book that I have to read in a week and haven't started yet.  I have the blog world to blame for this slacking.


Oh, I wanted to have clean socks to wear to the chiropractor's.  You know, just in case they ask me to take my shoes off and see my dirty mismatched socks!  The funny thing is, the socks I chose were far more embarrassing than mismatched and dirty socks.  All I could find was my 5 year old daughter's socks.  I made them work.  Check it out:


Don't mind the stubble.  Shaving in the cold gym shower didn't work so well for getting a close cut shave.  Sorry to my massage guy.  I promise that my ankles are not cankles!  Seriously, it is the sock stretched over my feet that make them look that fat...like big tree trunk fat!  I will post a picture of my ankle with regular socks if you don't believe me.  This is hilarious to me!  I'm easily amused.



On a sad note.  When I was in the locker room, news of Elizabeth Edward's death came on the television sets.  So sad and such a reminder that our life here is limited so we need to be making the most of it!  My heart goes out to her kids and those that loved her.


 Nose Pickin'
 I pierced my nose not too long ago.  For a second time.  Anyway, I'm a little obsessed with it and making sure things are cleared out in there.  I can't stand the feeling of having something in my nose so yeah, why would I get my nose pierced (twice) is beyond me.  I totally got caught digging in my nose at the gym (playing with my nose piercing like I'm not supposed to).  It looked a little like this:


I know someone saw me because just when I thought nobody was around, I looked up and saw a few ladies checking me out (not in a good way).  See just through the mirror by those lockers?  Yeah, that's where they were.  Lovely.  Don't mind the wet, slicked back hair.


Parenting, MOMs Groups, and Finding What Works Best For Us
As I mentioned in my last post, I had an awkward time at a Moms' group (I think was called MOPS...Mothers of Preschoolers) that I went to as a favor for a friend.  It was definitely an odd social experience for me since I found myself so unusually quiet and feeling out of place.  I'm also trying not to be too quick to judge at first impressions.  I think I might give it one more go so that my friend can have someone to go with.  After that, she's on her own if I get the same vibes. Life is busy enough...no need to add something that isn't enjoyable if I don't have to!

  Some of you mentioned the parenting book I had referred to written by Jim Faye, The Love and Logic Dude.  I don't agree with everything Jim Faye has to say with his Love and Logic plans...in fact, I find some of his logic to be downright annoying.  Just as with most things in life, there is a book for everything and we will find things that work and things that don't but ultimately we have to do what works best for us and stuff our opinions when it comes to what other parents choose to do.  I wrote about this in one of my first blog posts A Book For Everything and Real Life Lessons.  I just think it is important to continue learning and growing and finding our groove as a parent, wife, athlete or whatever we identify with in life.

Just to end this LOOOOOONG blog post on a good note, you thought those shorts I was wearing in Boston were bad?  Check out my outfit that I wore when I went on a night run two night ago.  It was at night so it is beyond me why I felt the need to wear shorts over my running tights just to cover up the bad underwear lines from wearing my old lady undies.  I'm so vain!  Well, maybe not if I'm wearing this.






Would love to hear from you!  Seriously want to know your opinions about the PR shelf life rules for runners.

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment